This seems like it should be pretty self explanatory….It’s a mason jar with a pin cushion on top. Here’s the pattern: Mason Jar Pin Cushion. I made it myself.
For the past few years, I’ve been using a pin cushion that came in a cheap sewing kit my mom gave me. Those pins that are pictured were also from that sewing kit. However, recently I’ve been having a few problems. Firstly, a few weeks ago I discovered that the head of one of my straight pins had snapped off, leaving the long metal poky bit stuck firmly inside the pin cushion. Which was bad. I had to pull it out with pliers. Clearly I needed a more secure way to store my pins.
The other problem was actually unrelated to my pins. For the past year or so, I’ve been struggling to find a way to store my darning needles that wouldn’t result in me losing them or in them stabbing me. Recently, I’ve had them loose in my sewing kit, which isn’t particularly conducive to either goal.
Since I’d been meaning to replace my pin cushion anyway, I decided to kill two birds with one stone and make one with a space underneath where I could put pins and needles. Which is why I hot glued it to the top of a mason jar.
This pattern is a lot simpler in design than most of what I make, but I don’t think it really needed to be anything fancy. It was a bit of a challenge putting it all together at the end, especially when I tried to attach the pin cushion to the lid. I also wound up adding a ribbon around the edge of the lid to make it look more polished/professional. In the end, I think it turned out pretty cute, like a little blue mushroom.